Saturday, April 04, 2009

Lost Then Found

I was supposed to blog abt this sometime ago but in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I forgot until now.

Anyway, a few weeks back, by an unusual stroke of luck (from someone who is usually not that nice to me), I managed to get into a spot for phlebotomy. Oh phlebotomy? that's just a cool ass name for taking blood. :P

Well, unlike in Malaysia, where doctors are the ones that take blood samples from patients, here they have people specially trained for it. They are called phlebotomists and they do outpatients' clinics as well as inpatients.

And for this year, we have this logbook where we have to do a set number of phlebotomies, catherizations, injections and cannulations. And for phlebotomy, we have to contact said department and arrange a time with them as they can only take 2 students at a time.

So actually at that time they were fully booked up until april but I managed to get a spot!

And yesh, I managed to take 6 successful blood samples (out of 7!! sry lar 1 fail jor) and only needed a little instruction on the position of the needle with 2. Isn't that fabulous??

That day was one of the best days I had so far in medical school here.

I need more of those sort of days. Where I feel the burning passion reminding me of why I chose this line of work in the first place.

Coz it's so easy to get lost in clinical school.

To be truthful, I haven't been myself the past few weeks.

I was lost.

I can't exactly pinpoint the reason but I can somehow trace it back to an incident that happened sometime ago. But I shall refrain from telling tales.

Anyhow, in those weeks, I felt I was just like a mindless robot, going through the works everyday, without any of the enthusiam that I had earlier. I was just wandering around in circles, without any destination in mind. And god knows how we need a goal to keep us going on in medical school.

But it's good that I realised it earlier on. It's still not too late...

Time to get down to what I came here to do in the first place.

No comments: