Friday, April 29, 2005

Cut! And...It's A Wrap!!

Well, today's the last day (officially la) for my volunteering at PAH... Actually, I was hoping that maybe in the near future that I may come back to volunteer again but I guess I juz dun have the time... Hopefully I will come after my Finals--scary now that I mentioned it...hehe...

OK, anything interesting happened today? Let me see... Hmmm... The head volunteer wanted to give us 3 marketing today but I asked her if it was ok if I go to ER again since I've been there yesterday and it will be easier for them too.. Besides, there's slightly more action at ER anyway...!!

Lydia also asked to be in ER so there were 2 volunteers there today... Yokekei went back to Surgical 2... The others din turned up, wondered where they've gone... Maybe it was too tiring for them--understatement of the year--I got very sore feet--> I think I got to exercise more..! :P

After running around the hosp for three days, I got to know the layout of the hosp pretty well now--see, I know where the Lab, X-Ray, Pharmacy, Wards, Heart & Vascular Center, Counters and of coz the ER are... Pretty good coz the corridors are pretty confusing, and there were so many lifts... As a bonus I din ask anyone where any place was! I juz learnt thru the General Tour given--not bad considering I'm lousy at directions...hehe... :P

Ok, today there was a little girl sent in with a gash below her chin--bleeding slightly... The Doc in charge was pretty nice, she asked me & lydia to help with the pillows and surgical light & stuff, so we got to see it... First, the doc (female) used this cottonball thingy (that we used to dig our ears with) to kind off pat her flesh back into da wound--the little girl was quite brave although she was squirming in pain--then the nurse put dis purple liquid in da wound as a disinfectant (most probably KMnO4) before bandaging it up... The little girl was juz accompanied by her kindergarden teacher, she said parents are to buzy to see minor injuries on their children--a trip to the ER is considered minor! Wow, such relaxed parents!! Juz great! -_-

And as a plus, we got to see how an endoscopy was done too... It's done using this long black tube dat was quite thick, considering dat it is going to be put into da patient's throat so dat the doc can get a view of da internal organs & stuff... Dr.Murli was quite nice, he even intro to us what a endoscope is..of coz it was brief but I think it was nice of him coz I've met sum docs who won't talk at all even when they're free...

He did this endoscopy on this man but it was quite difficult to get it into his stomach becoz the patient won't swallow properly!! As you know, we hav 2 openings from our mouth--esophagos and trakea--and the doc needed the patient to swallow for the endoscope to go into the right opening... And I think he did that like abt at least 10 times!!!

Finally, it was in! And they saw an ulcer in da stomach thru da screen... The nurse then put dis silvery longish thingy and pulled a sample of the ulcer out for further examination... The nurse was so damn fast that we din really see the whole procedure!! Wow! Her aiming was pretty good too!! And the part wif the ulcer was kinda bleeding after they pinched the sample out...and when they took the endoscope out, it was bloody coz when it moved to the wrong places, it might puncture the internal parts a bit...eww.. Thankfully, da thing managed to go in after God knows how many times.. Pity da old man too. He was in a lot of pain, I think.

Btw, I juz gotta comment on the kind of music they play in the endoscopy room... Super mainstream, man...! Let me see... They played:- J-LO 'Get Right!', LP "Numb', K.Clarkson 'Since U Been Gone' and even Simple Plan 'Perfect'~!!!! I mean this hosp is cool, man! Juz damn cool!! Of coz they didn't put it on full blast la, juz a tiny hum but you can still hear the songs...

I think that's all for now... Can't really think off what to mention now... Aikz. Will insert anything interesting if I rmb lo... Ok? Bye!

No comments: