Monday, April 25, 2005

Ooo..Volunteer Work Ain't Easy..

Well, today was quite an experience... Right, I'm getting ahead of myself. :P

Today was the 1st day I went to volunteer my (apparently valuable, according to Becky, one of the long-time volunteers there) services at the Penang Adventist Hosp a.k.a. PAH. I was given the surgical ward even though that wasn't exactly my choice but altogether, it was the better one in regard to what my frenz were given.. One of my frenz got bakery when her 1st choice was pharmacy... Really! Like learning how to chop bread or package bread will expose her to what a pharmacist's job is really like...lol.

I think mine was ok (but I think you can safely say it was Boring.) That's why I felt sleepy during the afternoon coz not that busy during dat time... Ever heard of ppl volunteering until they almost fall asleep? HA!

Still, I got really aching legs to show for my work...!! What do you think? I was made to run up and down god knows how many times to search for medication, sent files/X-Rays and even people's urine and blood samples... Hmmm.. How's that for a job, huh? Non-paid one too..

But I ain't complaining coz I think it was ok---> Hey, I mean, I did learnt some stuff! Err.. Like how do the nurses work, their system (juz the gist of it, coz when you sit at da counter for hours end, you kinda learn something abt their system..lol.)

And I was like the only one given the whole real tour of all the wards (the others were juz given a simplfied tour by Becky) coz da nurses in my assigned ward were rather nice... Linda, the Head of Surgical Ward to ask one of the younger nurses to take me around. Her name was Evelynn and she was also from my sch---my senior---and she said that I looked familiar. I was even taken to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit for those not in the know) where I saw these really fancy equipment...

Wow! And I was also taken to the Obestrics where the mothers-to-be are taken to become mothers (haha...you get what I mean!) And didya know that babies are placed in a room filled with UV light that is supposed to help them fend off a disease (sorry, can't rmb the name of yjr disease)?? Actually, you can avoid the disease by exposing the little babies to sunlight but you can't hang those little fragile ones out to dry on clothes line, rite? lol. The poor little ones will get so dehydrated!! haha...

Well, all things said, I think that that my voluntering there wasn't a complete waste of time (although there are definitely better ways of killing time) as it was quite educational--> I kinda know how a hospital functions now!

And hey! It IS for a good cause, you know! Guess what? I'm thinking of doing more voluntering there, maybe on weekends I guess--I assure you that I will be totally exhausted coz I have to manage my studies too! But what can I say? I'm an angel without wings.. Juz kidding.. Haha.

No comments: