Sunday, January 27, 2008

D.e.a.t.h.

NEW UPDATE: The petition is finally up! You can sign it here. Please do join the fight!

You can go to buscrashnomore.blogspot.com for more information. They have put up related blogposts, timelines of bus crashes and what are their current plans to continue the fight etc up there.

It's time we do something about this!! People shouldn't need to put their lives in the hands of strangers (aka bus drivers) just because they had to take the bus to go home. Let's hope that someone, anyone will help to enforce that change!

Don't let Nian Ning, Mohd Zailani and Poon Eng die in vain.

Put this link on forums, bulletins, emails… whatever. Just put it out there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Chung Lern and Nian Ning’s families would like all families and friends of the victims, dead or alive, in the Slim River Bus Crash to come forward and join them in taking action against the bus company. Stand up to seek justice for these three innocent individuals, who were all so young and full of life.

If you have a blog, please call out to ANYONE who knows someone who survived or did not survive the crash to come forward to join the Lee family.

Make a huge difference, make a huge fuss.

For now, you may contact Lee Chung Lern at chunglern@gmail.com or preferably on his handphone at 012-6670368.

To know more about the real incident, please go to this link.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's ironically funny how such a simple word consisting of 5 letters can evoke such a range of emotions in people.

Everybody knows they're going to die, but nobody believes it.

~Morrie in Tuesdays with Morrie

Isn't it so true? Nobody really wholeheartedly believes it, especially the young.

We young people somehow have this notion that we are invincible, and being the optimistic people we are, it seemed as though we can live forever! The world is full of endless possibilities and no one can stop us!

Well, that sort of optimism comes crashing down when gradually, we face the harsh realities of the ugly world outside our brightly painted bubble.

Death is one of them.

grim reaper - harbringer of death

I admit, I'm still young. I'm lucky that Death hasn't really touched me that much with his dark wings. But slowly and surely, I can feel his presence creeping in.

The first death that came was when I was 12 years old. It was my grandfather. He passed away due to colorectal cancer, the night I was waiting to sit for my 2nd paper of UPSR. It was also a day before my birthday.

I don't remember much. Just the ringing of the phone while we were sitting down for dinner. The tears that fell over the plate of rice. Now I still wonder how did I managed to pull thru the rest of the exam.

The second death came last year. It was my beloved tuition teacher, Mr Chin. Who was more like a mentor to the young me. It may not sound much but his death really affected me. You can read more here. Everytime I think about it, I still feel like crying...

The last time I went back Penang during last year xmas hols, I heard of the third death. It was a close neighbour. I didn't even know his name, haven't seen him in years. I only called him "uncle". He passed away due to heart failure caused by valvular incompetency. Happened suddenly while playing badminton. That must had been a big blow to his family. *sigh*

Now? I had my taste of the fourth death. Nianz and I were college frenz. She passed away on friday due to a fatal bus accident on the way to KL. You can read more abt it here. The news came to me in the form of a blog post yesterday. I was in denial at first, even now sometimes when I think abt it, I still can't believe it.

She had so much ahead of her. Her future looked so promising. She was so young, pretty, intelligent and a doctor-to-be. Too much to be lost just like that... tragically.

We were never really close. The only clear memory I have of her (sry my memory is getting worse) was us walking to the college carpark on this hot afternoon. I commented on how tall she was and why was she still wearing heels. And that at this rate, I would never measure up (yes it's a pun)! She was laughing and smiling. I remembered her looking so lively. I guess I'll never get to see that smile again.

Somehow this death scares me more than the others. It taught me about the fragility and unpredictability of life.

what is the business of death exactly?

It's true they say, life is short, you never know when it is gonna end. Gotta appreciate it when you are still alive.

Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.

~Morrie in Tuesdays with Morrie

Her death affected many more people around her that she could have imagined. At least, her death wasn't totally meaningless. It taught many people that time is running short and it is important to live life to the fullest.

That is what I'm gonna do from now on. And I hope you will too.

Last but not least, rest in peace, my friend. You will always be remembered.

4 comments:

k0k s3n w4i said...

There were only ever two deaths in my family - my paternal grandmother who I never gotten to know properly, and a divorced great uncle with ankylosing spondylitis who died alone in his house in Penang.

It haven't touched me yet, but I've been aware of the fragility of life for a while now.

All those autopsies I watched probably have something to do with that.

Zzzyun said...

well i havent had the chance to watch many autopsies yet (so far only 2) so i guess this death is too close for comfort.

coz to me, if it could happen to her, it could happen to anyone of us. any of my family, my frenz, my loved ones, even myself..

and it scares me.

when will the bus drivers ever learn? and when will the gov really do smtg abt it? sigh....

Anonymous said...

Death.. although I believe that death is not the end, I still at times get saddened and depressed at the thought of it. It's just human nature.

Zzzyun said...

well i still am not so sure abt the part whether death is the end... but anyhow, i guess as grow up, death will slowly become a normal part of one's life..

something that i dont really look forward to tho.. sigh*