Thursday, April 29, 2010

Start of Neonates

Apologies but I did not have the mental or physical capacity to blog for the past few days. I must say, it has been a rather busy week.

I am currently doing my subspecialty for Paediatrics, which is Neonates. My previous enthusiasm for Paediatrics was dampened by an unfortunate prolonged encounter with a doctor who did not inspire me much. But that's a story for another day.

The point is: I'm trying to do the bare minimum currently to get me by - unlike in General Paediatrics, which I did my best as the patients were interesting and challenging to learn and manage. Don't get me wrong, Neonates is challenging as well, if not even more so. But to me, it gets a bit stale as all the patients looked similar, although they have come in for many different reasons. It breaks my heart to see all these small little babies so sick.

Anyhow, I think I'll still keep an open option on whether to pursue Paediatrics in the future. It is too early to say! One probably needs more experience to tell what they really like.

This week has been extremely busy with lectures/tutes/assignments/ward work! I have a presentation tomorrow as well. I dislike public speaking but... I think with practice, I will get better. However, it would have been good to get a topic I know a bit more upon. Guess what, I'm talking about myocarditis tomorrow. o.O Just hope it goes well. *fingers crossed*

But I'm so looking forward to a good "rest" (rest is relative for medical students!) this weekend. Falling asleep while studying is becoming a too common occurence! :(

No comments: