Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Keeping Up The Pleasing Facade

Sometimes, I wonder how do people find the energy and the will to try to please others and feed their egos by saying nice sweet nothings [which they don't mean at all] almost every single minute of the day.

I can't. I just can't find it in me to purposely please others, especially when you yourself might be burning with anger and indignation inside. I have always firmly believed that one shld be true to one ownself. Today was the first day someone told me straight to my face that she likes the fact I'm very true to myself AND meant it as a compliment. Before this, it was always "I really like you that you're very straightforward and true to yourself. But maybe you shld change a bit, as it might be not advantageous to you in the future."

It's true. Maybe it's my biggest flaw, the fact that I'm extremely crippled in hiding my own emotions, which have been going thru a maelstrom lately. Which a lot can said to be due to undue stress.

Yes, I get easily stressed up over the smallest silliest things. And a lot of the time, it's out of concern and worrying for others. But no, I don't think they know or appreciate it. Instead, they might think that I'm just an oversensitive bitchy fool who complains and whines a lot over the tiniest stuff. Can anyone teach me how to be indifferent and not care so much? It's hurting me and people around me.

I'm feeling lost now. It doesn't take much to make me happy and forget my troubles. But it also doesn't take much to take it all away and watch the rocks come crashing down. That's how I am made. But this time, it might be that the sky is the one that is falling down. And no, I'm not a character in a Chicken Little bedtime tale.

It's not healthy. But it's not easy to change. You are not me, so you probably won't understand. And will just dismiss this post as just an "emo post" which in the end, very well might just be that.

But can anyone tell me please, how in the world, do you go on and on keeping up this facade of cheery pleasing faces to others? How do you keep yourself emotionally distant from others? And when is it that you are truly you and no one else?

Try as I may, sometimes I just can't go on. Then I'll say hurtful things I don't mean and know very well that I shouldn't say them, but still, my mouth has a mind of its own and... I say them. Or my change in sentiments and emotions are reflected a tad too clearly on my face even when I know very well I shouldn't. I just lack the urge or ability to go on showing this cheery happy facade, do you understand? I really can't.

I really dunno. No one really seems to understand. I give them credit for at least trying, but I don't think they do understand. If they do, they wouldn't be so afraid that they might say the wrong thing and get me all worked up. They don't understand. I try to do good, but no, it is just not working. But then I can't expect a perfect world where everybody is a great noble utilitarian, can I? Silly naive me.

My blog - I love it a lot. It's the only place where I can express my thoughts. (although recently there has been some conflict regarding that too, but I'm not going there *extracts self from dangerous territory*)

I shouldn't be emo-ing my time away. Time is precious now. Let's hope the world will become a little more brighter tomorrow.

10 comments:

Innocent^^Guy said...

This might be a radical suggestion, but may I suggest you to GET YOUR OWN LIFE! That's the green light to go ahead and say, "Who the hell is this bas3rd telling me that I don't have a life?". Well, I was just trying to be true to myself :P
But I'm not saying that you don't have a life, I'm just saying that you should get a life that is your own. You are the center of your life circle and everything revolves around you and not you revolving around others. I don't want to go on flooding ur comment so I shall stop here. But if you want to hear more crap, you know where to find me :P

Perhaps michelleG can help you out cos I think she is going through the same thing as you are.

Zzzyun said...

*stunned by the fact tat a total stranger just said that i have no life*

and i know very well that i DO have a life. =P i think u dont really know why im writing this post. (who can blame u tho)

but it IS a flaw that i cant hide emotions that i shld. MANY ppl hav been telling me that, and no, i dont think they're wrong, so there.

oh i didnt know that she's going thru the same thing too. hmm..

k0k s3n w4i said...

Just a fair bit of warning - it's going to get worse. WAit till you make it to your working time in a hospital later.

Life suck huh?

Innocent^^Guy said...

Perhaps I didn't manage to get my message across. I know this is rather stupid or you might think its crap. But try picturing yourself as the sun, and your surrounding elements as the planets that revolve around you. Hopefully, you will get what I'm thinking :P

Unknown said...

Hey dear... It's frustrating enough that ppl don't understand you, but it is even more frustrating when you know you gotta change but it is sooo HARD to change!! I kinda understand your feeling...

I kinda agree with innocent guy about "picturing yourself as the Sun". Remember what I said about giving life to other ppl and not the other way round??... And no, I don't think he meant that you have no life, but I think he meant to say something else... So don't worry lah k??

We all still love you *HUGS*

Innocent^^Guy said...

I can't blieve someone actually clicked with me on somebody else's blog. Ha ha!

Bee Hoon said...

Don't worry... Hiding isn't good either=p You'll just explode one day!

Zzzyun said...

wow so many comments suddenly. o.O

k0k> hehe i wonder what will happen when we start working at the hospital.. guess it's time to start working on changing as it takes time.

innocentguy> oh. nice analogy. i think i get what u mean. it's abt giving life to others rite? thks for the advice, even tho u dunno me personally. =)

funfun> hey dear, thks a lot for everytin! u've been a great comfort. ^v^ yes it's hard to change, but since it seems to make me a better person, yeah guess i gotta TRY to change. takes time and effort, but i'll try. i love u guys too! you all are the best!

oh btw, this post is not abt 'that' matter. coz it was written a day before. just in case u din notice.

beehoon>i guess it's abt moderation (as alwiz!) a balance btw hiding completely and revealing everything... yeah. =)

AiLing said...

Zi Yun- I also think that what innocent guy means is not that you don't have a life- but that you need to have a life of your own ( as in make some space and time for yourself as well).

It's great to be caring towards other people and worry for them about their problems, but when you have more than enough problems of your own, you might just 'explode' one day.
So just take it easy girl, and be yourself :)

Zzzyun said...

ailing> yeah i know what he means. and what u say is true. i really need to try to make some 'me' time eh? but looks like studying is eating away into that. lol

being myself? well some flaws still need to be changed. i want to bring happiness and smiles to the ppl around me. just wishing that they'll understand that sometimes i AM really just joking. sigh.