Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Blogging Safely

Edited- Blog, short for weblog, is an emerging form of medium used primarily for dissipating information.

The main thing that differentiates all the many blogs out there from each other is what sort of information that is contained in said blog.

Some blog about political issues. Some rant about how lousy their jobs/spouses are. Some bimbos write abt where to find the most fashionable stuff. Some blog abt their boring dreary lives. But I think a lot of ppl use their blogs as an outlet for expression of the strong emotions they are going thru at certain in their lives [hence the url name for this blog].

In most cases, they would not want others to find out abt their deepest darkest-most thoughts. But all is not safe in the cyberworld.

You need a certain amount knowledge abt how the bloggersphere works b4 attempting to do that.

Behold, my list of blogging to-dos or don'ts.

  • For one, you shld know that writing certain ppl's names in your blog is a big no-no as search engines (eg, technorati) are acts of miracles nowadays. Just a few clicks and you can land on someone-that-you-personally-know's blog. I find ppl landing on my blog all the time by searching the names of ppl I mentioned on my blog.

  • Secondly, if you are the proud owner of more than one blog, beware. For blogger, your profile will display ALL the blogs you own. So anyone a bit more kaypo can access to your other blogs that you never intend to show to anyone. Of coz, there is the option of making your blog "hidden" in your profile. Which I had done for this blog in light of me joining the m106 blog. No point making my senseless rambles known to the whole wide world. Tho of coz, I still take precaution not to write any degrading, humiliating, personal stuff that I'd not want others to know. Coz you never know. Better to be safe than sorry. (i was careless last time, but now i know)

  • Thirdly, appreciate the power of links. Even one friend that knows abt your blog and linking your blog with your real name is enuf to cause havoc. Make sure those who know about your blog link it with your nickname or better still, don't link it at all. Oh ya, getting a nonsensical nickname is advisable. (dont want others to guess who you are straightaway even when they managed to enter your secret blog, right?)

  • And yes, one more thing abt links. Besides not letting others link to you, you yourself shouldn't link to other ppl you know too. Coz they will be able to find you thru sites that find blogs who link to them. So you know lah.. They might be able to guess your identity after sometime eh. Beware!

  • Still paranoid? Then password protecting your blog and entries is the way for you! Sadly, blogger doesn't offer this option yet. But there are other ways using html codes to help you do that. I'm still researching this but then most of my posts are rather public anyway, so doesn't matter for now. ^v^

Okay, I think this post shld be useful to at least some of my frenz. Of coz, the best way to not let other ppl know is to DON'T BLOG ABOUT IT lo. Duh.

After reading this, I hope that you shall be able to drive blog safely now. I shall bade my farewell~ Ciaoz!

PS: Treasure hunt tonite. Backdrop progress almost reaching 100%. Will finish up the last stuff tmr morning then hang it up after class tmr! I can't wait to see the end result after spending SO much time on it! It better be nice~! hehe...

No comments: