Sunday, October 28, 2007

Of Masquerades And Candles

Stained Glass Masquerade
by Casting Crowns

Is there anyone that fails
Is there anyone that falls
Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small
Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover
That I don't belong

So I tuck it all away, like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too
So with a painted grin, I play the part again
So everyone will see me the way that I see them

Are we happy plastic people
Under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness
And smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation's open
To every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain
On our stained glass masquerade

Is there anyone who's been there
Are there any hands to raise
Am I the only one who's traded
In the altar for a stage

The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching
Can we really fall apart

But would it set me free
If I dared to let you see
The truth behind the person
That you imagine me to be

Would your arms be open
Or would you walk away
Would the love of Jesus
Be enough to make you stay

I first saw the lyrics of this song in Crz's blog and the lyrics somehow struck me... and poignant as it was, it remained in my mind till now. I haven't heard the song yet (download taking a looong time) but no matter, the lyrics somehow ring true.

[don't worry I am still a free-thinker, just appreciate the lyrics okay]

Don't you notice how we act differently towards different people?

To some, we are more carefree and light-hearted. To others, we are more serious and we close our hearts to them by giving a blank unreadable face. In this world of deceit and treachery, it is safer to hide ourselves beneath a facade of apparent happiness, isn't it?

We act the role people assume us to be so well sometimes that we even trick ourselves that that is who we are.

Sometimes just sometimes, we are a tiny bit uncautious, we let a glimpse of the real us peek out. And instantly, it is frowned upon by others. I ask you, what's a girl gotta do?

Suddenly, I'm enlightened to the advantages of being a deaf and mute recluse. Dealing with people and making everyone satisfied is the hardest thing one can do and still remain true to oneself.

Anyhow, all this musing reminds me of a poem we read once in secondary school. Somehow I am able to appreciate it more now.

Out, Out Brief Candle
by William Shakespeare

She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more.
It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Aren't we all idiots sometimes?

No comments: