Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Bawling About Being Bald

Ok, I posted something up at the Star Blog sometime back in the dim hope that my post would get chose as Blog of The Day, earning a cool RM50 on the way. But alas, being a newbie, I didn't know that they don't publish on Sundays, thus wasting my hard work on a post that I thought was good too!! :(

Anyway, instead of letting it go to waste, I've decided to publish it on my blog, a place where my word is law. :D

So here goes:-


Something is seriously wrong with the police force in our country. I thought that the Chinese New Year festivities will pass without (publicized) scandals this year. But what do I know? Guess I was just being naive. Oh well.

Various scandals are dug out almost every other week. Of course, gossip-hungry Malaysians are at most times happy with this, since it'll provide them with new topics to chat about when they go to the mamak.

After the brouhaha of the nude squat incident, the police have been under great pressure and scrutiny to perform their role as keepers of the law. Therefore, they've promised that they'll apply the letter of the law when dealing with lawbreakers. Little did we know how seriously they viewed this matter.

Just recently, 11 elderly men, with the oldest being 69 years old, were reprimanded for gambling in a public place and then detained for almost 24 hours. Probably a lash-out reaction, these unfortunate old men, after being forced to strip to their underwear, have had their heads shaved by the police during detention.

My initial reaction to this was: Shaving heads?! I have never heard of this lock-up procedure before! :O

My reaction was not alone.

There have been many instances of people being put into lock-ups the past year, but little few of them have lost any of their hair. Notwithstanding the fact that some of them were hardcore criminals too!

While it is evident that these 11 old men probably broke the law by illegal gambling, a rather minor offence (not exactly my idea of hardcore criminals), so why were they treated as such? Besides, in the lock-up rules, only those with a skin disease on the head like lice or kurap needs to be shaved of their hair.

I shall hereby name this law as the Discretionary Law where you'll be relieved of your hair in the lock-up unless you're some big-shot or someone notorious enough to claim oneself as a billionaire when you're practically broke.

What do you think, Malaysians? A gross insensitivity? Yes, in my opinion. A "teach you a lesson" element hidden in this incident? I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility. Bah!

However, I must make known my sentiments that I believe not all of police personnel are into such heavy-handed policing. I also sincerely believe that there are excellent police out there who are fair and well-principled, but receiving their fair share of flak. Therefore, I hope that these police officers will try to instill more confidence in the rakyat and make our country proud of its law keepers.

We won't be seeing the last of this yet, mark my words. Since it happened during the Chinese New Year festivities, it may make people angrier just by that very fact as it seems as the police force had lost their touch with the pulse of the public.

Sigh, I just can't wait for the next scandal. (Yes yes, moi is a typical gossip-hungry Malaysian.)

I wonder what's next.

Forcing people in detention to perform nude leap frogs and shaving of the hair in unseemingly areas? Eeeks!


So, the verdict? I tot this post is kinda out of place in my very unserious blog which is laced with humour everywhere. Nvm, don't wanna waste my efforts ma. Haha. :D

Come on, comment! Clickety-click!

3 comments:

Zzzyun said...

I dunno abt smokers, but the rest of them really deserve it!!

Hmmm. Blatant use of might!! :(

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't ya think it's a lil too long? I mean, if u wanna get it published. But anyway, haha, this is also my cup of tea. Oh yeah, I'm supporting u in this! Way to go!

Zzzyun said...

Oh, I dunno about length, but they dont really care.

As long as it's not vulgar or obscene, they'll publish your post. Some have terrible english btw!!

Thx for your support! I was a lil' afraid that such a post will evoke the wrath of the powers-that-be.

*Scared look*