Sunday, October 23, 2005

Un-Casual Thoughts ~ Part 2

  • I’ve a feeling that many more disasters are yet to come. The experts' ominous warnings about the H5N1 virus strain making a jump to humans, also say that it's only a matter of time. They're urging countries to stock up on anti-viral drugs but so far only a few heed the warning. I wonder if Msia is one of them? I do hope so. Do you know that the Spanish Flu that killed millions a long time ago was also from the avian type? We're so dead and I mean that in the literal sense.

  • What bout the dengue danger around now? A bite from a mosquito and poof! You're dead after a few days. Life's so unpredictable nowadays. And experts say that another mosquito has joined in being a vector too. I do hope the other mosquitoes won’t take to heart the idiom "the more the merrier" or it'll certainly be the end of us. Notwithstanding the fact, the aedes mosquito apparently has undergone mutation to emerge stronger. Now, the eggs do not need to be in wet areas to turn into adults later. Fogging won't be able to eliminate it. How's that for a scary thought?

  • What abt the road casualities rate in Msia? It's is HORRIBLE! On average, 18 ppl die daily!! 18!! OMG~ And do you know that most of the ahem, casualities are in their most productive age, around 18 to 25 years old. I saw this really funny comic bout the issue. As I can't find the comic, let me just write down the conversation inside the speech bubbles lo. Here goes:

Expert: Wow. Msia is not experiencing a population boom. You all must have very effective birth control measures.

Msian: Oh, yes! It's called Road Casualities. An average of 18 ppl die a day on the roads.

Expert: @_@ Oh My God.

  • Okay, I've to admit I've changed the conversation a bit since I don't really remember it word for word. Only the gist of it. But it is funny, no? More ironic though.

  • Oh, well. The Prime Minister's wife--Datin Endon passed away from breast cancer yesterday. That's so sad. And you know what her last words were? "Take care, everyone." Well, I did not know her in real life but I feel (from reading newspapers) that she would want her death to be useful ==> to create awareness, so women/ladies/girls of all ages, go and get yourself checked up!! Cancer is one of the menaces of the 21th century. Gosh.

  • Anyway, I'm sure there are still many dangers/disasters still lurking unnoticed. That's why I want to be a doctor. I’m sure my services would be greatly needed in the bleak-looking future. I do hope I'll be in time though (5 years is a long time and anything can happen in that period). I might not be around long enough to render my services to humanity. What?! Now, that IS a morbid thought.

PS :: On a happier note, Nicol David won the prestigious British Open! OMG!! That is SO cool!! And if she wins another major tournament, she’s going to be World No.1!! She beat Rachael Grinham, World No.1 that day to clinch the title. Even the British were amazed that she had won.

Do you know that she is the first Asian to win the British Open? Oh My God. She's certainly flying the flag for Msia! I'm SO proud of her! Even more wondrous is that her coach says that "this is only the tip of the iceberg... Nicol has the talent, the body and the mental strength to back it up."

A world squash star is born! I'm sure she'll go to greater heights and bring back sports fame to Msia. Let the other nations know that we ARE a power to reckon with.

Wow. Now, I'm speechless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, its a dangerous world (wait till you hear about radon gas). Just be content that we're part of the earthlings who are "well to do" and try our best to make a difference

Anonymous said...

u've been reading too much newspapers... lol... makes one become a pessimist ya noe.. :P

Zzzyun said...

junlin > we'll try our best to make a difference! yes.. if there only are more ppl like me.. =P
lydia > Erm..maybe you're right...everday i open da newspapers, all i see are negative news..accidents so many! it's really enuf 2 make one a pessimist...sigh*