Monday, November 28, 2005

The Case Studies

Well. Shld I blog about the missing stuff from my interview? Guess so, just to get things out of the way.

Okay, the stupid case study.

I'll just give a gist of it and peeps, don't think that they use the same thing coz they gave a different one to another fren. So here goes:

You're the pilot of a plane. One of the passengers had a heart attack. The final destination is 10 hours away. The nearest destination is 2 hours away but the weather is stormy there. If you managed to land successfully, taking off again might be hours away. What would you do?

Hmm. Well, the woman asked me what was that jumped out at me when I read the second passage. I knew I shld I have read carefully but coz I was a bit panicky and in a hurry to get out of there and blurted out other trivial parts!! But she mentioned the bold-ed parts later and I saw that she was right.

Haih. Another minus for moi. Too daft to even read properly.

But anyway, at least I cottoned on, so maybe I wasn't too slow after all. *Wishful thinking*

Anyhow, my first attempt was that I'd find whether there was any doctor on board [funny how there IS always one aboard in movies]. But their response indicated that they wanted a more erm, comprehensive answer.

So I said that i'll land in the nearest destination if I know I've the ability to do so. And we went into kinda debate saying that this is not abt whether I have the ability or not, but abt the lives of that particular passenger and the other lives too.

And the man asked whether I'll ask the passengers' opinions, I said: "Yes" coz I'm a big advocate of democracy.

He was mildly surprised and said: "If I was a business man, and I've to sign a very important (million of dollars kind of) contract in time and I protest, what would you do? Besides, you have to take in consideration your company."

I told him that it would be bad publicity for the company anyway if I disregard a life. [Btw, I must say I didn't use the bombastic word--disregard. Aiya] I think I crapped something else too but I've forgotten. Wah, he really wanna make my life hard, hor? Sob, but I guess it is a valid concern after all. =(

But in the end, taking up the hint by the (kind) woman, I said that I'll land in another destination that was near too, but the weather wasn't stormy. So I won't jeopardize the lives of the other passengers this way but still try to save the unfortunate person. Yay~

Finally! A minor triumph (albeit a hopeful one coz I'm not sure what sort of impact I made).

Okay, shld I talk bout the verbal case study? Ok-la. Here goes, just a gist.

You're a superior to a low grade worker (??) and you found out that he has been coming late to work recently. What would you do?

Don't ask me about the "low grade worker" comment, coz I was like What the heck! Elitisim!! Anyway, I hoped it didn't show.

So I said I'd have a talk with him, ask him what are his reasons. Like maybe he's coming late becoz of the public transport, so it's not entirely his fault.

The man agreed, bout the public transport part. Good! Bingo~ But later he suggested that he takes an earlier bus but I said that that wouldn't be fair to him. [Erm, courtesy of an essay set by Ranjit. =Aikz= The things that come back to haunt you.]

He then mentioned changing him to a later shift and I agreed.

Then he asked when will I think it's suitable to fire him. I said maybe after 2 talks and a warning, then it's time to go for him. He muttered something about labour laws and I also muttered something too lo. lol.. Anyway, later he asked if I'll seek my superior's opinions. I said that if I was entitled to make such a decision, and depending on the status of the "low grade worker".

Woo!! Great answer, no?

So at least I did quite brilliantly well in one of the case studies. Thx to my good social skills ma! Haha... Yayz!! I so totally feel better. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all. Many ppl tell me that the interview is not the determining factor in my application! =)

Phew~ Maybe there's hope after all. Just maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

searc il sito del deto

Zzzyun said...

Hmm.. Do ppl advertize their blogs this way? Nope~

Btw, let me reiterate. You're supposed to comment here. But seeing you're new, I'll let you off la.

Lol... I sound so scary leh. =)