Sunday, November 06, 2005

= Template Disaster =

OMG.

Did anyone noticed many differences in my blog?? All the changes I painstakingly did all over the months, GONE.

Just like that, GONE. Argggh!!!!

*Pulls hair in frustration*

I was just editing the template and pressed "save template changes". All looked ok as it chugged slowly...sooo slowly. I wondered why it was so slow (although this was not the 1st time my supposedly-shld-be-fast streamxy connection bugged me with its slow speed!) and after sometime, it must have jammed or something.

I tot, oh well, just make the changes again lo, no biggie. However, to my horror, when i refreshed the page, I found out that most of the page [downwards from about half of my links] was gone!!

Gone!! I nearly went out of my mind. There were a lot of links & add-ons from there onwards, you know...

Just thank goodness that I still left an old page unclosed so i used it to find those links and retyped (recopy & paste actually) the whole damn thing again. ISH!!!

But it took dunno how many hours to get the whole thing back again coz I had to use a new template again [I chose the same one again though coz the others I dun really like...] Whatever la. Just now saved a 3rd time after some changes and lo behold, the same old problem happened again!

=Aikz= Thank God I learnt my lesson ade and had saved a copy of the entire code in a file. Phew! Or else I'm sure going to an asylum ade.

*Brushes sweat off forehead*

Oh god. I do hope such a thing NEVER happens to me again coz it's quite painful. Eek!

Anyway, the lessson I'd learnt is:

  • Always ALWAYS save any data that you're going to upload onto the net due to the extreme unreliability of the connection. And when u wanna press Ctrl+C to copy, make sure u're pressing both keys at one time. Coz there was one time I didn't press properly, only pressed C. Tada! I was left staring at an entire post consisting of only 1 alphabet only --> C. Die. But at least that wasn't so bad (also not the 1st time ade) the most is just type the post again. But losing the half the template, that's bad. *Sigh* Just my luck.

Anyway, I'll remedy the changes sooner or later. By the way, there are a few new changes that I'd like to make to my blog. They are:

  1. Categorize my archives according to my own personalised titles, instead of dates. This is going to make things easier for ppl new to my blog, so they can browse thru their fav categories. But this is kinda hard for me coz the Blogger Help thingy is no help at all. I read thru the article, tinkered around, to no avail. I guess I'll just get someone to help me with it lo.

  2. Put up a 'Classics' section in my sidebar. That'd be pretty cool too. That's quite easy, almost the same as linking other websites. No sweat. But first I'll have to see which of my posts are important or humourous enough to put up specially. Maybe u guys can suggest to me which that you find very interesting (or other adjectives)? Thanks ya guys!

  3. Well, maybe also put up a disclaimer somewhere in my blog. Hey, I'm just protecting myself from whatever laws. This is important to my own welfare, right? But I haven't figure out what to write yet. Maybe I'll just use others' as reference lo.

That's all about the changes i wanna make. I can't think of any more at the moment. Let me go and think about it first. Hehe...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, now it looks a lot better! it's a good thing that u retained ur template. otherwise, u'll surely hv trouble with all those colourful fonts!

'kay. let's spot d difference... hmm... the hugz counter is gone... how come there're three links to dr liew's blog??... n my link has been moved up to the blogs galore. (is that a promotion?)

next time u unintentionally overwrite ur data in a textbox due to ur lousy typing skill (=P), try Ctrl+Z, the undo function. Ctrl+Y is the redo function. these two are pretty handy, unless if u hold down the Ctrl key first, of course!

categorizing d archives? they hv a help section on that? wow! i wanna try it out! will let u know if i can figure out how to do that.

Anonymous said...

I use Ms Frontpage to do most of the HTML work, and never close it until I'm sure everything's ok. That way, if anything happens, I can still copy it from Front page.

Back in the days of my Friendster blog, I always copied whatever I typed before posting it, to avoid suffering the same fate as you did recently. Quite often, thanks to the hostel's slug-nection.

Zzzyun said...

kryptos5> aikz, are u sure it looks better? hmm...i'm going yo remedy the changes soon.
anyway, ur link has been moved up into tat section since that's reserved for bloggers i know. the lower section is for ppl that do not know me and vice versa. i guess that's promotion...keke...

ok..thx for ur tips! and i'll try categorizing da archives...but i think it needs a lot of work..so be patient then... =)

Zzzyun said...

sun tzu II> well, i do copy my posts now..but sometimes ppl can become lazy and dunno why it always strikes at the one time u were careless one leh...strange...

what's this ms frontpage thingy? how do u use it??

Anonymous said...

Ms Frontpage is one of several Ms Office programs. You just edit it much like the way you do in Ms Word, while a HTML code is generated based on it.

Its actually a WISIWYG HTLM editor

Anonymous said...

zyun>> how come i can't find the "categorise your old posts" help file on blogger?

Zzzyun said...

suntzu II> okay, thx! i'll go try it out sometime...

krytos5> I think the keyword is "categorize archives" but u need to scroll around a bit..it's not very a obvious help file..jeez..if i find it i'll put up a link okay?

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a good idea to use Blogger for Word add-on and save your template offline in Notepad... I did this all the time so I can rebuilt my blog if 'disaster' strikes...

Anonymous said...

Ea Cheng>
Saving it offline in notepad won't preserve the format, like all the colours and bold letters used here. Unless you can save the HTML code in notepad.