Monday, November 21, 2005

Immuned by The Daily

Reading the newspapers is never a happy affair. It's true. I've acquired this unfortunate habit (of reading newspapers) during my recent exams, for lack of something less 'stimulating' to do. It's kinda strange that during exams, I get an uncommon vigour to do things that I'd not normally do (or do so much of) like blogging, reading intellectual stuff, watch educational programs and other boring stuff.

Now? When I have time aplenty on my hands, I only watch un-educational movies, online, eat, play my PS2 and do God knows what with the rest of the time. Haha... I'm such a lazy bum! Sue me! Those sitting for their spm or stpm or other sort of finals now must be glaring at me with eyes wide apart. O.o =Scary=

Oops, I digressed again. [Why always like this one? *Sigh*]

Anyway, everytime I open the newspapers, I really must steel my fragile heart first. It's all gloom and doom everywhere. For every happy news, I think there must be like 20 sad/tragic news. What a ratio. Blek~ And I'm being optimistic here, ya know. The real ratio might be more than that. This ain't good. O.o

Anyway, it really is sad to read the news nowadays, all I get to see are how many murders, rapes, robbery, deaths, road accidents and other unsavoury stuff that has happened the day before. Not very palatable. T_T

I haven't even got started about the teenage pregancies, the increasing avoidable death toll due to natural disasters [a sign of God's wrath? Maybe..], good intentions that gone wrong, families torn asunder by tragedies, the neglected elderly, ppl brought to Death's door way earlier than their time... The list is endless.

What can I do but empathize? I dunno.

You won't believe how immuned we've become to tragedies... All the gore, death doesn't seem to affect us a lot now. Until it's on your doorstep, then you're aware of its existence.

But you're surrounded by it. The online, PS2, XBox games that you play daily are full of violence and gore. But you continue punching the consoles (or keyboard) until there's no one left standing but you alone. You laughed with triumph but is such a world the type of world you want to live in?

I must say, I've nothing against games with hardcore violence in it if all is practiced in moderation. Moderation is the KEY in everything you do in life. To get back your grip on reality, it's good sometimes to go out and mix with ppl a bit. Believe me, it'll do you a world of good.

Somtimes, ppl become so warped about their sense of reality that they really think that the world revolves around them. This is all so wrong. Have we no feelings left to spare to the needy? Around the world, ppl are starving, they've no basic education, they are a result of bad government and natural circumstances.

Can't we help our fellow men? (women, kids too of coz, just a figure of speech) Is it too much too ask? I dunno. I feel really sad about the "me-only" perspective that most ppl tend to have nowadays. Is this a result of evolution, then something is truly wrong with us. The human race has come so far, but they won't help their own. Hold your heads in shame when other supposedly lesser species are able to help their own.

The Verdict :- We're not so superior after all.

That's why I don't like to read the newspapers. Maybe it's better to not read like my peers. But is that a sort of feeble defence against the cruel reality of the world? Sooner or later, we'll have to face the harsh reality so maybe it's better if I become more immune to it.

I'm sure it'll help in my future carreer. You don't want your doctor to cry at the sight of your dying daughter, do you? You want Professionalism? But isn't that like being too emotionally detached from your "subject"?

God, I really dunno anything anymore.

Do read this poem. Maybe you'll understand more what I'm raving about.

Now would you excuse me, I gotta get a vaccination against tragedy. Bye.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I believe that ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth." - Molly Ivins

The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."
-George Bernard Shaw,

Just wanna add a few things to your blog. Well... at least you have supporters.

Does this entry have anything to do with today's The Star? The featured artical in the magazine part.

Zzzyun said...

wah...nice quotes! don't tell me u got them from a book of quotes coz i seem to have read them somewhere before... =)

what entry? i dunno la..maybe i read it..can't rmb coz my hse got many types of newspapers one leh...what's the title of the article again?

Anonymous said...

"I believe that ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth." doesn't that mean you have to read the papers? or else you'd be ignorant?

Anonymous said...

There is another one that says boredom is the root of all evil! lol. So, please excuse me while I go fight the forces of evil on my laptop.

I forgot what exactly the title is, and I can't check because the paper doesn't stay at home for long. Dad takes the previous day's paper to grandma every morning

Zzzyun said...

ooo..well, i'll still continue reading of coz, but sometimes the body is willing the haert is lazy..haha..

and i do believe that "ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth."

sigh* but at least we know the truth lo...=)